Monday, October 15, 2007

" Killing our children"

I titled this blog to a term that i heard on Oprah the other day. I've seen this title before, on the TLC show " Honey we are killing our kids." Honestly this phrase scares me, but i am one of the people who believe it to be true. Physical activity has become non-existent in peoples homes, and they have no one to blame but themselves. Sure, we could blame television, videogames and computers, but it all still falls back to people in their own homes, making the daily decisions that they do. All of these electronics have become babysitters for parents, making parents jobs easier. So why shouldn't they just put their kids in front of that television while they can catch up on their emails?

When watching Oprah's show yesterday, i was just so thrilled that she was speaking out about this. Of course many people do.... but we all know how powerful Oprah's praise is! haha. In a discussion, she asked the audience members " How many of you used to walk home from school?" About 75% raised their hands. Then she asked, " How many of your children walk home from school?" Only 1 PERSON raised their hand. Out of what, 300 audience members? I know that it's more dangerous now for children to walk home with child predators and what not, but where did we go wrong and make it this way? Without that little daily dose of exercise, children aren't getting the energy they need.

I used to always walk home from school. I used to love it ... my cat Sally would be sitting at the corner of my old street every day around 3:30 waiting for me to turn that bend, and then we would join each other in the walk back to our home. I obviously stopped doing it once i graduated high school and drove a car, and i miss it at times and i'm sure part of my weight gain has to do with that little missing piece. ( 20 pounds since graduating high school... are you kidding me?)

So for the last 6 weeks, i have now lost 7 pounds! How? I walk the endless miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays at school to my classes and back. That is the only thing i'm doing different, and i have a smaller size jean to prove it! To me this just shows what a big difference this could make on our children .... they need just that little bit more exercise to help. I know it's hard, the world can't be perfect. But we can't all go around killing our next generation of children with allowing them to sit in front of their computers all day either, can we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SISTA Please im like the IRON MAN! i cant gain weight im beastin it out all day i define this blog in SF i will show you what a work out is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!